Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How Many?

Ok, show of hands....how many of you out there know that October is Domestic Violence Awareness month?

Hmmm, I thought so. Not many.  But hey...don't feel so bad,  I didn't either.  Alright, now....how many of you out there know of someone who is/was a victim of domestic violence and abuse?  Sadly, maybe a lot more hands were raised.  Maybe you yourself have been or still are that victim.

Many years ago, in my much younger days, I was a victim of domestic abuse.  I admit that the majority of my close friends (and even my family, save for my husband) do not know this about me (but obviously the cat's out of the bag now).  It's not a topic  I often bring up over bagels and coffee during fellowship hour at church;  I've actually only shared the details with a few chosen people in my life whom I felt would benefit from knowing, to let them know that there is a way out, there is hope and that they aren't alone.  

No, this isn't going to be a 'tell all' blog post.  I actually just felt moved to step out and declare this as a way of introducing to you an extremely beautiful, yet scathingly haunting poem.  It's written by a new friend named Shanyn Silinksi, whom I've had the pleasure of 'meeting' here in the blogosphere.   Her blog is entitled "Sunflower Poetry," and can be found here:  http://sunflowershan.wordpress.com/

Shanyn knows all too well the pain, heartache, anguish, fear and shame that comes with being a victim in an abusive relationship.  But thanks be to God, she now also knows the confidence, strength, security and freedom that comes with being a survivor. Shanyn is a beautiful soul and it's my honor to share her poem with all of you.  Please do share this with someone else, and feel free to stop by Shanyn's blog and leave her an encouraging comment or two:





How Many Stand Silent?

How many stand silent,
Watching as you quietly die?


How many stand silent,
Watching as you are abused?


One, a dozen, the whole world.
What if no one spoke for any of us?


Would you speak if the hand raised,
was raised against you and yours?


How many stand silent,
Knowing who deals death
Just beyond their door?


How many stand silent,
Knowing cruelty lives and thrives
Just beyond their door?


One, a dozen, the whole world.
What if no one looked at any of us?


Would you cry out or would you cower away,
if the cruelty was coming through your door?


How many stand silent,
Waiting for someone to speak?


How many stand silent,
Believing the lies, “I’ve changed”?


One, a dozen, the whole world.
What if we stopped believing them?


How many stand silent…
How many stand silent waiting for…
Just one person to say, “Stop! Enough!”?


How many stand silent…
How many stand silent waiting for…
Someone else to make the world change?

copyright Shanyn Silinski 2010
http://sunflowershan.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/how-many-stand-silent/

3 comments:

  1. I was not aware that this was domestic violence awareness month. Good on you, for tackling the subject and bringing light and love to darkness and pain. All abuse is born from lack of love.
    I have known my share... You are a blessing.
    In His Grace, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Open and Honest heart that you have. When you bring awarness it can really help someone. Love you Sister! Write Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both, Dawn and MaryElla, for your comments here. I appreciate your encouragement!

    At times though, I find I've offended people by being a little TOO open and honest. What can you do?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...