Tuesday, September 20, 2011

All Dogs Go To Heaven

I’ve purposely veered off the beaten path today to post a poem that I wrote in honor of some sweet friends of mine who recently lost their beloved dogs:

Xena, who passed away last month after giving many, many years of faithful love and happiness to her family

Adena, who had to be put down yesterday after a valiant battle with cancer, and who also gave her family so much love and joy over the years. 

The grief both families are experiencing is heavy, fresh and very real. Anyone who owns a pet can attest to the fact that they actually ‘own’ us, and after initially capturing our hearts, they go on to become tried and true members of our families.


I know there are many folks out there in the bloggy world and beyond who do not ascribe to the view or belief, if you will, that our pets go to Heaven after they die, and will argue there is nothing in the Bible to back this up. To them, I humbly ask that they kindly set those thoughts aside today as I seek to comfort and grieve along with my friends.

They say that all dogs go to Heaven
And I believe that’s true,
For when it’s my time to come home
I know that I’ll see you.

For now, I miss you SO much,
I’m empty, lost and sad,
Because to me you were the dearest
Best friend that I had.

No happy bark or ‘wiggly butt’
To greet me at the door,
No ‘click clack’ of your doggie nails
Tap dancing on my floor.

Whenever I was sad or sick
You wouldn’t leave my side,
Your soft, smooth fur was there to catch
Each teardrop that I cried.

Your love was unconditional
So loyal and so true,
But now it seems you’ve finished
What God placed you here to do.

He surely welcomed you by saying,
“Well done, good and faithful friend!”
So if all dogs go to Heaven,
I know this is not the end.

R.I.P Xena and Adena


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry for the pain of the loss of this sweet pup. I was thinking today as I walked (with two of my canine friends) how we perceive so little. Our Lord and Great God is compassionate, loving and sensitive to ALL of His Creation. WHenever I see a critter that has sadly met the end on the road I ask God "Lord, take that little one to where there is no pain and suffering, I know you care about each in the vastness of your creation and if it's to be I pray I see all of these blessed creatures in eternity" What is beyond us is not beyond Him. I know my Savior cares about those He has made to show us much about ourselves.
    I love the poem, Pam-it is beautiful and you did write it yourself? I write poetry as well!
    For your friends: I pray for the memories to be sweet and the pain of loss to be brief. In Jesus name. Amen.

    1 Corinthians says 2:9-10:

    However, as it is written:

    “What no eye has seen,
    what no ear has heard,
    and what no human mind has conceived”[a]—
    the things God has prepared for those who love him—
    ... Dawn (Modern Day Disciple)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...