Sunday, March 4, 2012

Worship Song Sunday -- A Mighty Fortress, by Christy Nockels

    He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High, 
shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, 
  He is my refuge and my fortress; my God; in Him I will trust.
  Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the perilous pestilence.  He shall cover you with His feathers, 
   and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.~ Psalm 91:1-4, NKJV


Rock of Cashel, Tipperary, Ireland

I remember when, as a little girl, one of my favorite fantasies was to pretend to be a much loved, beautiful princess living in a grand, towering, impenetrable castle. Living under the protection of the strong and sturdy castle walls with my powerful father -- my Daddy -- the King, nothing or no one could touch me or hurt me. 


When I got older, I found that fantasy really wasn't so far-fetched of a notion.  My maiden name is Cashel, and my dad was of pure Irish descent. One year, a friend of our family, on vacation in Ireland, sent us a postcard from Tipperary, which bore the picture of a huge castle on the front, called the Rock of Cashel, or 'Cashel of Kings' (Cashel is Irish Gaelic for stone ringfort, which is a fortified settlement or castle).  On the back of the postcard were the words, "See, I always knew you came from royalty!"  


I must admit I was quite mesmerized by that image of royalty and strength on the postcard. In all my childhood times of pretending, I couldn't have imagined anything more breathtaking and mighty than that castle, that Rock.


Today, I know that there is.  My God -- my Father and my King.  

From the ends of the earth I call to you, 
   I call as my heart grows faint; 
   lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 
 For you have been my refuge, 
   a strong tower against the foe.
 I long to dwell in your tent forever 
   and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. 
                         Selah  ~ Psalm 61:2-4, NIV

When the flood waters of life threaten to sweep me away, He is my Rock.
When chaos surrounds me, He is my Hiding Place.
When peace and rest elude me, He is my Shelter.
When trials become too overwhelming for me, He is my Refuge.
When I am bombarded by attacks from the enemy, He is my Fortress.


As you worship the Lord God today, I invite you to picture yourself as a beloved princess (or prince), dwelling in that secret place -- your hiding place -- of the Most High.  Abiding in the shadow of the Almighty.  Protected and safe within the confines of His mighty Fortress.  Sheltered beneath the refuge of His wings. 


Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...