Sunday, November 20, 2011

Worship Song Sunday -- You Are My Hiding Place, by Selah

You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word ~ Psalm 119:14 (ESV)

Troubled times, raging storms, harsh difficulties, fiery trials, dark valleys, twisting roads, steep mountains.  We all experience them at one time or another in life.  For some of us, it feels like we're bombarded daily by all of the above.  We feel distracted, drained, discouraged, depressed.  I know those feelings all too well. 

And I often find that they hinder my desire to worship God. I become too wrapped up in my problems, in either trying to fix them all myself (Supergirl complex) or in allowing them to knock me down, capture me in their undertow and drown me. I know there are many out there who can relate to this today.

In times like these, we want to run and hide. The Scripture verse that inspired the name of my blog says: "in You my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge, till the storms of destruction pass by."  And that's what we long to do -- to find a hiding place to settle into until our own personal storms of destruction pass us by.

Our hiding places can be anywhere -- a room in our home (mine is in the corner of a small room in our basement); our car; the bathroom (hey, for some of us, that's worked); a park; a pier by the lake; the quiet study room at the library.  When I was a young girl, and my parents' fighting would escalate, I'd run out of the house and down the street to our church to hide in the pews, where I found peace and solace.

But there is a much, much better hiding place than any of these.


In Psalm 32, David tells the LORD God that He is David's hiding place; that he knows He will be protected from trouble and surrounded with songs of deliverance.

This morning, I invite you to join me in putting aside all those things that are causing us to take our eyes off the Master and sink into the raging, stormy seas, interfering with our worship of Him. 

I invite you to join me and come to the Lord, and to step into His hiding place -- beneath the shadow of His wings -- and allow the words and the music of this song to help us to find peace, rest, security and solace in God.  Each time I've listened to this song, it has brought me an overwhelming feeling of peace, of rest, of comfort, a strengthening and a great nearness of God, allowing me to let go of everything and sing along in worship of Him.

Today, whatever you're going through, entangled in or running from, let Him be your hiding place, beneath His wings, as you worship Him.



May this be our song of deliverance today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...