Friday, April 6, 2012

It's Friday -- But Sunday's Coming!

But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed. ~ Isaiah 53:5


I'm sitting here, looking out my window from time to time as I write this post.  The sun is shining here where I live in New Jersey; the weather is slightly cool; not much of a wind to speak of, birds are singing, there's not a cloud in the sky.  Yet I find myself slightly disappointed.


Am I nuts? Possibly. Certifiably, I'm told by some.  Am I ungrateful?  No way. It's just that the weather seems like such a paradox in regards to the day.


Today is Good Friday, perhaps the most solemn day among Christians.  I can remember from the time I was a child, and well into my, shall we say, older adult years, it always seemed that the weather on Good Friday was anything but beautiful.  There were times when it started out that way, but as it got closer to noontime, the wind would suddenly kick up, clouds would roll in, and the sky would become gray and somber.  As if God was sending us all a much needed reminder of the solemnity of this day, some 2,000 plus years ago.


The day that His One and Only Son was beaten, bruised, mocked and tormented -- for us. 






The day that Jesus was forced to carry a heavy, splintery wooden cross through the streets (the same streets where, five days earlier, He rode triumphantly upon a donkey to the joyful praises of 'Hosanna!'), and up a hill. 









The day that our Savior took the nails for us -- US!! -- and with a crown of thorns firmly thrust and implanted upon His skull, hung upon that wooden cross, between two criminals, for hours in excruciating pain.


The day that Jesus took all the sin of the whole world upon Himself -- and died so that we -- selfish, prideful, ungrateful sinners that we were and are -- could live.  Forever with Him.






I would often wonder, as a child, why in the world this day of all days was referred to as "Good Friday."  Back then, nobody could seem to tell me why.  As far as I could see, there was nothing 'good' about it.  It was such a somber day. My mother would never permit music to be played on Good Friday.  TV was definitely NOT allowed on.  I wasn't even able to go out to play with my friends between the hours of noon and three o'clock (God rest her soul -- my mother was an extremely melodramatic person, so I don't know if this was the 'norm' among our family, friends and neighbors back then, or just something she came up with).  And, at three o'clock, I would find myself seated in our darkened church for Stations of the Cross.  Jesus, the Son of God -- gentle, loving, giving Jesus, Who loved all the little children of the world, was betrayed and murdered heinously.  What was so 'good' about that, I'd think as I fidgeted in my seat between my parents.


Absolutely NOTHING.


But as I heard and learned many years later, it could only be called 'Good Friday' because of Jesus's resurrection three days later.  Jesus overcame sin and death when He stepped out of the tomb that Sunday morning -- Resurrection Sunday!  Without that Sunday, there is nothing 'good' about Good Friday.  As our pastor always says: "it's Friday....but Sunday's coming!"  Hallelujah for that!


Today, may I encourage you to take some time away from the noise and busyness of life? Perhaps find a quiet place to sit and reflect on what our Savior, Jesus Christ did for you. Yes, Jesus died for all of us, it's true.  But consider the pain and suffering, anguish and rejection He endured for YOU.  Make it personal. 


If you've never, ever seen the movie, 'The Passion of the Christ,' I highly recommend watching it if you're able sometime this weekend.  Buy it, rent it, borrow it.  I watched it again this morning.  And indeed, it IS hard to watch.  But it really brings home exactly what Jesus went through for you.  For me.  For us.  


Below is a song that I heard for the first time today, from a CD I bought some years ago, but never played.  It is hauntingly beautiful, in my honest opinion.  Take some time to listen to it and meditate on its simple, yet powerful and truthful lyrics (which I've included). 


If you've never considered what Jesus Christ has done for you, I implore you to do so TODAY.  Seek Him while He may be found.  He desires that NO ONE should perish, but that all (and yes, this means YOU) should come to repentance.  He loves you unfailingly and unconditionally.  He died for you sacrificially.  


How can you refuse Him now?










How can you refuse Him now, how can you refuse Him now?
How can you turn away from His side?
With tears in His eyes, on the cross there He died,
How can you refuse Jesus now?


There's a story old, that has often been told,
Of how our Savior died, as they nailed His hands,
He cried, "they don't understand!"
As the blood flowed from His side.


As He hung there on the tree, He prayed for you, prayed for me,
There was no one His pain to ease,
Before He died, He faintly cried,
"Father, forgive them please!"


How can you refuse Him now, how can you refuse Him now?
How can you turn away from His side?
With tears in His eyes, on the cross there He died,
How can you refuse Jesus now?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post Pam - and the powerful song...made more so with the Passion of the Christ as a backdrop. The thing about that movie is that it strips away any whitewashing we perform in our minds about that day. He was brutally beaten, horribly tortured - before the first nail was driven in. We hear the story so often we can sometimes become numb to the agony this form of killing was structured to inflict. And he bore all of that for me...and you...everyone. Indeed, how can we refuse him after witnessing that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting article and what a and the powerful song It touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post! I love your writing style and how you write with a mixture of humour, honesty, passion and love. And you know, I've never seen the Passion film; I've been too worried to watch it because I'm worried it will leave me disturbed; but I guess that's a good thing actually! I should get around to watching it and be disturbed at what my Lord went through!
    God bless you abundantly Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Rebekah.

    Yes, my dear -- the movie IS disturbing, but I think that was Mel Gibson's intent. After years of watching older movies like 'King of Kings,' and 'The Greatest Story Ever Told,' as well as reading the various descriptions of Jesus' torment and crucifixion in the Gospels, a person can become almost numb to all He endured for us. Be prepared to have your heart broken -- have tissues ready for the tears. It was eye opening for me to see and to really know that all that suffering and that death on the cross was meant FOR ME. But Jesus took it upon Himself instead. He is our Savior, our Hero, our Beloved Jesus.

    May God bless you over and above measure, Rebekah!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...