Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Silence Before The Shearers

Just a few moments ago, I was audience to a 'war of words' taking place between quite a few folks on Twitter.  At one point, even WITH a scorecard, you wouldn't have been able to tell who was who among the players. Some professed to be Christian, but with the temperatures rising and the 'Haterade' flowing like a mountain spring, you seriously could have fooled me.




Earlier on Facebook, someone made a comment on a friend's page how they were struggling to 'like' Christians over a particular heated and much publicized debate; a debate where the more people weigh in with their opinions on it, the more they seem to fan the flames of hatred. And this person who made the comment was a Christian themselves. 


With social media such a huge part of everyone's lives these days, doesn't it seem that more and more, we feel we can say whatever we want -- Christian or not -- and we always MUST have the last word? That's just how it seems to me anyway.

And then two Scripture verses kind of popped into my head (I say 'kind of' because since I'm not Barbie Bible Scholar, I didn't remember them word for word, I actually had to look them up):


He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet He never said a word. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter. And as a sheep is silent before the shearers, He did not open his mouth. ~  Isaiah 53:7



When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted himself to Him who judges justly. ~ 1 Peter 2:23

Credit
As a result of all of this, I got to wondering just what my life would look like if I truly followed Jesus's example here and applied these verses to my everyday interactions with people -- face-to-face and online.


How would your life look, dear one?

Just some food for thought today.


3 comments:

  1. Hearing you and trying to steer clear of having Haterade thrown my way...weighing my words, carefully. I hope. And lifting my own heart up for examination by the One who discerns hearts...Love, to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post at Recovering Church Lady compliments your post today. Susie says we are here for 2 purposes - To worship God, and to act as ministers of reconciliation. Until we do that...until we truly act as Christians and are "Christ-like" - we won't be the balm of reconcilation, we will only keep that Hatorade flowing. Thanks for your thoughts today PSF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears fill my eyes as I read this dear Pam. The whole debate has become uglier than the subject! Silence may appear to be the wimp's response but it is actually a place of strength in the light of this beautiful post. Thank you Pam.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...