Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Being Thankful

Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever. ~ Psalm 118:1

Today, I was all set to whine and complain about something very minor, via a post on my facebook page (facebook can be SO good for this sometimes), when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but someone’s post in my news feed about all the things she is thankful to God for these days. This is yet another person who has taken on a month long challenge of being intentionally thankful. I checked out her online Thanksgiving Journal and much of what she listed had to do with those kinds of things we take for granted every day, those sweet and simple, everyday blessings.

The love she receives from her pets

A clean kitchen (with all credit going to her hubby for that one!)

The heat blowing through the air vents in her home, keeping her warm as she writes

The sun peeking through the clouds on a grey day

The creams and lotions and meds that give her body relief as she forges on with radiation therapy for the cancer she is battling

Her post and her journal entries made me stop and realize that I too have much to be thankful for and that I shouldn’t waste my time whining and writing about stupid, inconsequential things over which I have no control.

I could name so many things for which I’m thankful that my list would soon resemble Santa’s toy delivery list for boys and girls -- practically endless.



But today, I will name some of ‘my favorite things':



*I’m thankful that I know that Jesus loves me. ‘Nuff said.

*I’m thankful that God is able: able to hear my cries so long ago, able to see me lying amidst the rubble and the messiness of my broken life and like the true Hero He is, able to rescue and remove me from it all, because He loves me.

*Even though they can be difficult to get along with and drive me crazy, often pierce my heart to its core and bring tears to my eyes, I am thankful to God for the family in which He’s seen fit to place me, for the husband and children He’s given me to love. I realize that at any moment, they can be taken away, and I‘m thankful for the time God has given me with them thus far.

*I’m thankful to God for the loving, loyal and lasting friendships that He has blessed me with over the years. Friends who pray for and with me; friends who provide me with wise and godly counsel; friends who dropped everything and showed up to support and stay with me when I was rushed to the ER some years ago; friends who hung out with me at the RWJ Cancer Institute and turned my chemo infusion treatments into mini parties filled with laughter, joy and LOTS of chocolate (and who shared all of those things with the other patients and staff as well!); friends who ran errands, drove my kids places, and made my family dinners when I was too weak from chemo to do so; friends who actually read and persevere through my long winded emails and blog posts; friends who have been there physically, relationally, financially and spiritually for me and my family in rough times.

*I’m thankful for my church, my pastors and their wives, and my church family. They are not perfect -- but neither am I, and I’m grateful to have been welcomed with open arms by this Body of Christ.

*I’m thankful for a home that’s cool in the summer, warm in the winter and dry when it rains.

*I’m thankful for running water and appliances that work; food in our ‘fridge and our pantry and clothes/shoes in our closets.

*I’m thankful to God for the reliable vehicles He’s provided us with over the years.
 
*I’m thankful for those people at the grocery store with tons of stuff already on the conveyor belt, but who let me go ahead of them when they see I only have one or two items.

*I’m thankful for Dollar Tree reading glasses, especially since I’ve become WAY too good at breaking or losing the overly expensive prescription ones!

*I’m thankful to God for grey, cold and rainy days like today, because they help me to appreciate that much more those steaming bowls of homemade chili or chicken noodle soup, warm chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven, piping hot cups of coffee or tea or mugs of hot chocolate topped with whipped cream.

*I’m thankful to God for the way He speaks to me through HIS Word, the written word -- fiction and non-fiction, Christian and non-Christian -- and through song.

I'd love to hear what you're thankful for!


You are my God, and I will give You thanks; You are my God, and I will exalt You. ~ Psalm 118:28


What if I looked at my life in a different way
Took a little more time to stop and pray
I know it would change all the moments in between
So here I go

Thank you for everything
Thank you for loving me
It don't even matter what tomorrow brings
Well, I will sing my

Thank you for sun and rain
For what you give and take away
For all your goodness I will always say
Thank you
Oh, I said thank you ~ Thank You, by 33 Miles

1 comment:

  1. Thankful for long distance friends! And I am going to have some hot chocolate now with whipped cream. I love this post, Pam. I appreciate your own way with words- now, I really need to check into some of those reading glasses, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...